Reining In The Style: Hot Trends from the Cactus Classic
I was one of the lucky souls who got to attend the Arizona Cactus Reining Classic that ran from March 22-26. I noticed some trends that have become more popular of recent. I think 2017 is already proving to be the year of testing out new trends!
- As I talked about last week in my blog about romal reins, I saw a huge increase in the number of people showing in romal reins. I think a horse winning a major event in romal reins, helped let the masses know that it is okay to break away from the norm of leather split reins!
- In the Open Derby that took place on March 25, there were also a number of horses show in a hackamore, which has not been a common practice in previous years.
- Pink and purple hair! I saw a number of ladies rocking some candy-colored manes, and some even took it as far to match their hair to their hats to even their pads. However, it can really make or break a completed look if your new hair color clashes with your show clothes, so keep that in mind.
- Yucca Flats show pads have been very popular in the reining pen for quite some time now. However, there have been an influx in different pads making their way into the pens. For example, a favorite pad of mine is The Show Pad by Carri Visser. She creates pads that stand out in the pen, will coordinate with your horse and show attire, while not distracting from the overall completed look.
- Traditional tooled leather belts are going out the window as well, the industry is welcoming Handmade Exotic belts into the pens. Now your entire outfit can be color coordinated, down to your handmade exotic belt!
Trends will come and go, but it is truly an exciting time to be around these equine athletes and their trainers! Trends are ever changing in the industry, and my biggest advice I would give to all the exhibitors is to not be afraid to use what works for you, you might just start a new trend!
Pictures Courtey of: