Horseshow Hacks: Dollar Store Finds
Last week I shared a must have check list for the upcoming All-American Quarter Horse Congress. This week I wanted to showcase a great way to save a few dollars by spending a few dollars at your local Dollar Store or “Dolla Gentral” as YouTube sensations Hannah & Kaylee put it. (If you haven’t checked out their videos, stop whatever you are doing and go to their YouTube Channel.) https://www.youtube.com/user/hannahroof
Here’s a list of some items you can find at your local dollar store and save some money on in the process. This entire list would cost less than $50.
In the Kitchen:
- Travel Mugs/Double Wall Tumblers w/straws. These are great for the show or the road trip to the show and encourage you to stay hydrated. No more wondering where you set your drink.
- Re-Usable Ice Packs. Great for icing your horse, keeping your cooler cold or to put on your aching knees after a long day on your feet.
- Plastic Chip Clips. These are awesome for keeping flies/etc out of your horse show snacks or to clip on horse feed/supplements to prevent spills and waste.
- Misc Scrub Brushes (found in either the kitchen or cleaning section). Different sizes, some with handles, some without, these are a welcome additional to the wash bucket.
- Bar Towels. These are generally 2 for $1. You ALWAYS need towels at the show. Wiping hands, wiping horses, cleaning boots, etc. Buying in white makes washing and disinfecting a breeze.
- Plastic wrap. For all my poultice users or to save your snacks.
- Ziplock bags and Tupperware. Store your chalk, cornstarch, bobby pins, Chicago screws or other small parts that tend to get lost easily.
- Paper Plates/Utensiles/Napkins/Paper Towels. The Dollar Store has these in all sorts of colors so you can coordinate with your barn colors.
In the Bath:
- Shampoo and Conditioner
- Detangler for manes and tails (or your own human tresses after a long day of showing)
- Hand Sanitizer because you just cleaned stalls.
- Disposable Razers for last minute touch-ups at the gate.
- Epsom Salt for soaking abscesses.
- Combs (because you will inevitably break your favorite banding comb)
- Claw clips to keep manes in check when braiding or banding.
- Paddle Brushes for brushing long manes and tails. These always disappear so buy 2-3.
- Gel & Hairspray. Cheap is better for long shows, guaranteed “all day hold” for Horse or Human.
- Hair ties & bobby pins.
- Rubber Bands (clear or black) Perfect for secure tail braids.
- Clear Nail Polish. A dab of this on your Chicago screws assures they will stay in place.
- Carmex Lip Balm. Dirt and wind are common horse show conditions.
- Baby Oil. To get those nose and eyes so pretty for Halter day.
- Baby Powder. Pearly white legs, put in your English boots to help get them on and off or for my roper buddies.
- Toothbrushes for cleaning tack and silver.
- Band Aids. Self explainitory.
- Hydrogen Peroxide. Clean your wounds, freshen your breath (yes its safe as a mouthwash), disinfect or kill mold.
In the Auto/Electrical:
- Matches/Lighters. Great for burning frayed lead rope ends or poking extra holes in Nylon equipment.
- Zip Ties. Keep Electrical wires out of the alley way, hang buckets or other items in a semi-permanent manner.
- Screw Driver Sets. A necessity for tack repairs.
- Wire brush. Remove dirt/mud from boots or hooves on a bad weather show day or freshen up rough out leather.
In the Clothing Section:
- Rain poncho (can save your show clothes in a pinch)
- Laundry bags. For horse clothes, polo wraps or splint boots.
- Garment Bags. Keep show clothes dust free.
- Safety pins. For show numbers and quick clothing fixes.
- Travel Sewing Kit. Lost a button? No problem.
- Shoe Shine Kits. Throw these in your gate bag for a quick polish before you step in the ring.
- Lint Rollers. Remove hair from your showmanship pants or to get shavings off your saddle pad.
In Home Décor:
- Wire Baskets to mount in your trailer or to organized your tack trunk.
- Floor Mats/Rugs. The smaller size makes them great for your trailer floor.
- Mirror. Put some magnets on it or drill holes to hang in your tack stall or trailer.
In Office/School Supplies:
Small Dry erase board & dry erase markers. Write ICE contact information or write down class numbers.
- 3 Ring Binders to keep your papers together
- Sheet Protectors
- Rubber Bands you can never have enough. Get these in all sizes.
- Duct Tape
- Super Glue
- Bottled Water
- Cornstarchan alternative to baby powder to get those legs WHITE!
- Peppermints for your horse. They have puffs or traditional. Great for bribing him/her to put their ears up in that Halter class.
- Disinfectant Spray down stalls, shared bits, cinchs, etc.
- Blue Dawn Soap (Mix with hydrogen peroxide it’s the Ultimate cleaning machine) Also gentle enough to wash your horse.
- Bleach Cheap disinfectant for traveling
- Rubber Gloves
- Spray Bottles (For fly spray, for disinfectant, for detangler)
Be sure to share your dollar store finds and hacks on social media!
- Paige Morgan
Online Portfolio: http://4paigemorgan.wordpress.com/
Email - Ms.Morgan@kimesranch.com